Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm Committed

or at least I should be committed!

I have officially signed up for the Breast Cancer 3Day!

I went to the start up meeting on Thursday night with the sole purpose of getting information... I signed up for the walk that night. I have wanted to do something for a while now... something for a cause and something to get out of my own self centered focus. Every time an opportunity was presented, I had an excuse why I couldn't commit. Now, I am out of excuses and really, I need this event. I may need it more than it needs me. This is my chance to have something of my own... it's my chance to be part of something much bigger than me... it's my chance to do something for someone else instead of focusing on what the world should be doing for me.

The 'her' in my blog name is my mom Susan. She fought breast cancer for 19 years before it finally won. She passed away in Nov 2004.

I was extremely fortunate to have a wonderful relationship with her. She was diagnosed in 1985, when I was 7 years old... this was also the time her and my birth father were divorcing. She was cancer free for 7 years... then it came back 5 years later... then not even 2 years later and from that time on, it was an almost constant battle. For the first 10 years of her battle it was her and I on our own. By God's grace we made it through. Friends helped us out immensely... I can remember staying weeks at different families homes while my mom was sick. I don't even know how she was able to continue working... or even if she did. I have no idea how that worked... just one of the many things I would like to ask her now.

In 1995 my mom met a wonderful guy who became her husband 2 years later. His name is Paul but I call him dad. We are still very close and I am so grateful God placed him in my (our) lives.


All 3 of us did this walk 7 years ago... these are my parents somewhere between Baltimore and DC. The one thing I remember most about the walk is pushing myself to keep walking because my mom showed no signs of quitting... I mean she was like a train. She was paced, consistent and had boundless energy. She amazed me and I wanted to walk every step with her.

Unfortunately I will be walking by myself this year... unless I can convince anyone out there to do it with me? I already have a team name picked out thanks to Rob! My mom will be with me in memories only and my dad is living on the west coast, participating in his own fight against cancer. I am not worried though... I know without a shadow of doubt that I can do this. I can do the training, I can raise the money and I can walk 60 miles. I can do it for her.

I am extremely excited about this event. Thanks for checking in... I hope my excitement is contagious!

No comments:

Post a Comment